February 13, 2018 – A new way of flying

We got up early and my humans went to Tim Horton’s to have some breakfast. They offered me some food the day before but I did not want to eat and today they did not offer me anything. My mistress told me I couldn’t have anything as I have to go on the airplane again. NOT AGAIN!!!! I don’t like being in this box in the belly of this big metal bird, all by myself. But wait a minute; they did not bring my box. How am I supposed to fly with them without my box? Will they leave me behind and go without me? No, that can’t be true. My mistress told me she would take me with her to Ken’s house.
She gave me a little bite of a cake with my pills in it. I only get these pills when they put me on an airplane. Something is strange.
After breakfast my humans drove to the airport. My master and I waited for my mistress to come back to us as she returned the rental car. It only took a couple of minutes and she joined us. My humans went to the Check In. I don’t know what they are doing there but they left the suitcase there and got some papers. My humans sat down and talked. I was a little nervous, as I still did not understand what would happen.
They gave me some water to drink and my mistress took me outside to pee. After a while they decided to check in the backpack. Now they did not have much carry on any more, that’s what they called it.

My humans took their belongings and we walked to something they called “Security”. They showed some papers to a man and put all their things on a belt, they even took off their shoes. What is this good for? My mistress and I walked through a thing that looked like a doorframe. An alarm got off and my mistress told me to lie down and stay. She walked through that doorframe again, back and forth; this time there was no alarm. The officer said everything is ok and we could go. My humans got all their belongings back.
The next stop was a kiosk where they had to scan their passports, fingerprints were taken and the computer took a picture of my humans. Luckily they did not want to take prints of my paws.
I don’t know what this all means and why my humans did all that and I stayed close to my mistress.
We had to wait in line for a while and after that my humans stopped at a counter where a woman asked some questions about me. She was friendly but she did not smile. Most people smile when they see me, but not this woman. It did not take long and we walked away. Next stop was a waiting area. My humans sat down and my mistress put some of her essential oils on my skin. She said this helps me with my anxiety. My master bought a bagel and my mistress gave me a little bite with my pills in it.
It did not take long and we walked towards a door. My humans had to show their passports again and somebody took the small suitcase they carried with them. We walked through an aisle and through another door and there it was, the airplane. I tell you, I was very confused. I walked next to my mistress, on my leash, and couldn’t understand. Where is my box? My mistress walked up some stairs and into the airplane and I followed her. The airplane was very small. On one side was one seat and on the other were two seats. My mistress told me to go in on one side. I had to sit in front of her seat. There was enough room for her legs and me. My master sat next to us. I was curious and wanted to look out of the window. I put my front legs on my mistress’ legs and looked out of the window. There were other airplanes next to us.
My mistress told me because I am a service dog I am allowed to stay with her on the plane. I can’t believe it. I don’t have to go into my box and be all by myself during the flight. Well yes, there is more space in my box than between my mistress’s legs but I definitely prefer being on board with her.
It took some minutes before that airplane started moving. I wasn’t scared at all just wanted to look outside.
During Take Off I was able to see everything getting smaller and finally be in the clouds. My mistress gave me some more of that bagel during Take Off; she was worried because of the pressure in the air. I was fine and I actually enjoyed being on an airplane.
Imagine that, I saw Big Apple, that’s how they call New York. I was able to see the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty. How many dogs are out there that had this experience. I feel like I am special.

We disembarked the airplane and my master had to wait for the carry on. My humans told me we had to go to another gate for the flight to Las Vegas. To go there we had to change terminals. To do so we had to take a shuttle bus. There were many people in that shuttle bus but the ride did not take long.
In the other terminal we walked to the gate for the next flight and had to wait for a couple of hours.

When it was time for boarding I was very relaxed as I was sure that I could fly in the cabin again next to my mistress.
The next plane was bigger and I had a little more room. It was late already, after my bedtime, which starts at 7.30 pm, and I was tired. I decided to lie down underneath the seat in front of me and take a nap. During the flight my mistress gave me some ice cubes from her water. That was very refreshing. I slept almost the entire flight while my mistress and my master were watching movies.
On this airplane were three seats on either side and 4 seats in the middle. We had seats on the side of the plane so I could have looked out of the windows if I would have liked to. My mistress sat at the window and my master in the middle. On the seat next to my master sat a woman. She was very friendly and told me I am a very good dog and I behave very well.
During the flight that lady left her seat and did not come back. There was an announcement on the airplane that said that there was a medical emergency and they are looking for a doctor. Shortly after that the flight attendant came to my humans and asked if this lady was sitting next to us. It turned out that she was the medical emergency.
After we landed there was another announcement and the humans were asked to stay on their seats while the paramedics took care of the woman. The ladies’ husband told us she was all right.
When the paramedics had left the airplane we could disembark.
My humans had to pick up the luggage and we waited for Ken to pick us up.
I can’t tell you how happy I was to see Ken.
Ken took us home to his house and the humans just stopped at In and Out to grab a burger. I wasn’t hungry and even later at home I did not want to eat.
We went to bed shortly after we arrived, my humans were tired because they did not sleep on the airplane and there is a three-hour time difference between Toronto and Las Vegas.
I am looking forward to say hello to everybody in the family tomorrow. I missed them all.






Professional Reader

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalo farm, herding dogs and living in Serrone - February 9, 2022

Mogli. loves joggers - September 15, 2021

Mediterranean Sea and running free in Broccostella – October 17, 2021